b. 1977, Venezuela
Susana Reisman is a graduate from the School of Imaging Arts & Sciences from the Rochester Institute of Technology (Rochester, NY). As a photo-based artist, she is deeply interested in questioning forms of visual representation. Her work seeks to address the ways in which we experience and interpret what we see; how we encounter, read, construct, classify, and evaluate our visual world.
Born and raised in Venezuela, Susana Reisman continues to live a nomadic life—currently dividing her time between Toronto and Caracas. Her work has been exhibited throughout the United States and Canada.
- MFA, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY, USA 2005
- BA, Wellesley College, MA, USA 1995
- Museum of Contemporary Photography at Columbia College, Chicago, IL
- Wallace Library, Rochester Institute of Technology, NY
- The Media Cafe Collection, Rochester Institute of Technology, NY
- Selective Affinities, Peak Gallery, Toronto, ON 2010
- Disk Inventory, Tall Wall Space, The University of La Verne, La Verne, CA 2007
- A Sense of Departure, Center for Photography at Woodstock, Woodstock, NY 2007
- Mapping and Mediation, Hiestand Galleries, Robert E. & Martha Hull Lee Gallery, Miami University, Oxford, OH 2006
- recovery room, Art and Music Gallery, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 2005
- Objectively Ambivalent, MFA Thesis Exhibition, SPAS Gallery, Rochester, NY 2005
Selected Group Exhibitions
- PhotoDimensional, Museum of Contemporary Photography, Columbia College, Chicago, IL 2009
- Feria Iberoamericana de Arte: XI Salon CANTV, Galeria CorpBanca, La Castellana, Caracas, Venezuela 2008
- Food for Thought, The Light Factory, Contemporary Museum of Photography and Film, Knight Gallery, Charlotte, NC 2008
- CONTACT: Portfolio Reviews Exhibition, HP Gallery, Red Bull 381 Projects, Toronto, Canada 2008
- PRC/POV: Photography Now and the Next 30 Years, PRC Gallery, Boston, MA 2006
- Trash, Drake Hotel, Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2006
- “On the Scale of History” (Featured Portfolio), Afterimage: The Journal of Media Arts and Cultural Criticism, Rochester, NY: Visual Studies Workshop, number 4, vol. 35, 2008.
- “Photographic Medium” (Artist Profile), Vision Magazine, Beijing, China: Youth Vision Magazine, November 2007, 224-227.
- “Susana Reisman: Measuring Tape,” Flash Forward 2007: Emerging Photographers from Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States. Toronto: Magenta Publishing for the Arts, Ontario, Canada, 2007: 66-67.
- “Plastikos,” Alphabet City: Trash, Ed. John Knechtel. Cambridge, MA: Alphabet City / MIT Press, 2007, 272-279.
Susana has recently finished a children's book entitled Time Flies which was published by Dar Onboz (Beirut, Lebanon) in May 2009.